Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Life Lessons

Danton and I had this conversation the other day about life lessons. I know we are so old...but I am sure everyone looks back on their life and wonders what if they would have done things different or what if someome would have just told us ?, or what if they did and we didn't know to listen because we had it all figured out right?

Things I have learned with my recent life lessons.

I never knew how hard Kindergarten could be. I believe kids are encouraged to grow up way to fast. Our society places so much pressure on little kids even little 5-6 year olds. I am so grateful Danton and I have taken the time to talk with Averie about the situations she has to deal with. I believe we are given the chance to teach our little girl some real important life lessons. I just never knew we would be teaching these life lessons so early.

One thing for sure is that our little kids are ALWAYS watching us. We have had to deal with a very mean little girl at school and occasionally we have run into this little girl and her mom outside of school. One thing I often tell Averie is, " You don't deserve to be treated that way and if someone is mean you have the chance to walk away". So, after I told Averie that she didn't have to play with this girl she asked me this "Mom, if that girl isn't nice to me then why are you nice to her when see her at the store". It isn't easy to be nice to someone who is mean to your daughter, but let me tell you I am grateful I was and that my daughter picked up on it.



When I say they are watching...they are watching. After ballet the other day Averie was sitting with a group of girls and I heard one of them say "Your brother is a freak" it wasn't until I heard Averie say "My brother isn't a freak" that I knew that little girl was talking about Lincoln.. What causes a 7 year old little girl to say that about a 1 year old little boy. I am no where near the model parent or perfect and will never even be close. But kids really watch everything around them and if no one tells them about right and wrong or even about making fun of someone even if it is a "joke" then what results do we really expect. I strongly disliked the situation and STRONGLY disliked that girl for a while but if the only good that came from it was I told Averie I was proud of her for standing up for her brother and then talked to her about how that would make her feel then I guess I will take that.



I have come to the harsh reality that we can't change society and how it is so influential especially on our very young little kids. But we can and must be very proactive in the raising of our children. Otherwise someone else will do it for us.